Last week, we saw how the Gospel has dealt a fatal blow to the legitimacy of the limiting beliefs holding you back from serious personal growth. Then, you were prompted to pull out your planner and make a bullet-point list in response to this question:
What are the limiting beliefs holding you back from getting serious about your core calling?
Today, we wanted to share with you the EXACT limiting beliefs journaling exercise that changed the Shelby and Kyle’s lives forever.
Limiting Beliefs Reversal Exercise
This exercise is incredibly simple. Grab your planner, and use some of the flex space to answer the following series of questions for each limiting belief you hold:
- What is one limiting belief I hold?
- Is it true?
- How do I react when I believe the thought is true?
- Who would I be without that thought?
- What biblical principle backs this?
- What is my new choice?
Here is an example from Kyle’s actual worksheet back in 2015 (shared with his permission, of course!):
- What is one limiting belief you hold? I’ll never be financially successful.
- Is it true? No
- How do I react when I believe the thought is true? I get discouraged from working diligently to come up with viable solutions for income.
- Who would I be without that thought? I would work confidently to build our income and savings.
- What biblical principle backs this? Psalm 128:1-2, “Blessed is every one that feareth the LORD; that walketh in his ways. For thou shalt eat the labour of thine hands: happy shalt thou be, and it shall be well with thee.”
- What is my new choice? To labor diligently and confidently steward the time, resources, and opportunities God has given me to increase our income and savings for the future, as well to help others and to leave an inheritance for our children.
Here’s an example of how he worked through a limiting belief that was true.
- What is one limiting belief you hold? I don’t trust God’s providence in uncertain times
- Is it true? Yes
- Is it absolutely true? This is my usual reaction.
- How do I react when I believe the thought is true? I become despondent and fearful, and cannot think straight because of paralysis.
- Who would I be without that thought? I would confidently trust in God’s providence through troubling times.
- What biblical principle backs this? Psalm 37:25, “I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.” Psalm 94:14, “For the LORD will not cast off his people, neither will he forsake his inheritance.”
- What is my new choice? To rejoice in the future, confident that God owns the future and is directing our steps. Our duty is to obey Him and work diligently with our hands, prudently.
What were the life-changing results of this journaling exercise for Kyle and Shelby? It honestly marked a turning point in their thought lives. Instead of allowing limiting beliefs to run amok and paralyze all attempts at progress, they became very intentional to reverse these thoughts and make healthier choices with their brain power. It laid the foundations for Kyle and Shelby to go from broke and barely making it, to steadily building real wealth (instead of debt) and diversifying their streams of income. It made space for the abundance mindset and personal growth they needed to provide real value in the marketplace, strategize solutions, and trust God with the rest.
If you feel stuck, this exercise is a powerful starting point for arresting a negative thoughts and emotional patterns and reversing it with intention. Out of the heart flow the springs of life. We love that our planner system gives us a very practical way to guard our hearts with all diligence.
Are you ready to launch into an entirely new way of planning? We created the Evergreen Planner System because we felt continually limited by each planner we tried. The Getting Started Kit is the perfect way to try two of our core products – the Annual and the Monthly. Don’t wait until we launch our next subscription box – get the tools you need today!